Placing calls from your
Hearing Carryover (HCO)
If you are speech-impaired, HCO allows
you to listen directly to the hearing person. Follow these steps:
- Dial 1-800-649-3777 or 711.
- The Michigan Relay Representative (REP) will answer by typing: MRC
REP ### (number) F or M (Female or Male) GA (Go Ahead).
- Type (area code, telephone number) HCO GA.
- The Rep will acknowledge, dial the number, announce the call and explain
relay , if necessary.
- After you see the "GA", type your messages on the TTY. The Rep will
voice your message to the other person. Remember to always type "GA" (Go
Ahead) before you pick up the handset to listen to what the other person is
- After the hearing party says "GA", put the handset into the TTY and type
back what you want to say.
- Continue the process till you are done with the call.
- If you initiate the call, you will be asked if you wish to make another
call. Type in your response using the TTY. You may need to let the
Rep know you want to continue using the HCO method.